Second Prize: Multi-Family Unit Development
Project Name: Place La Charrette
John Hoehn, Manitoba Housing
Ten Ten Sinclair Housing Inc.
Ray Wan, Raymond SC Wan Architects
Wade Kastes, Kastes Planning and Development
Brian Everton, Design For All Inc.
Terry Wotton, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Greg Fast, Boretta Construction
The extensive collaboration and partnerships amongst the public and non-profit sectors makes this project most unique. The project was developed and is managed by Ten Ten Sinclair, a non-profit organization that develops affordable housing for persons with physical and reasonably equivalent disabilities. The total project cost was nearly $11 million and all funds were cost-shared between the Province of Manitoba and the Government of Canada. These partnerships facilitated an Integrated Design Process between Manitoba Housing, the architect, contractor, a universal design expert, and tenants with manual and electric wheelchairs.
- Place La Charrette is the only housing project in Winnipeg that has universally designed apartments and attached bungalow units on the same property. With indoor weather protected accessible parking.
- Place La Charrette housing units are temperature controlled through geo-thermal technology.
- Every housing unit was built with the same universal design features throughout the housing project.
- Place La Charrette is not only accessible but is also affordable as it is geared towards low to medium income households with its rental rates.
- Every apartment unit has an accessible balcony and every bungalow unit has an accessible patio/back yard area.
- Place La Charrette has not only one bedroom units, but two and three bedroom units as well for larger families, along with an accessible children’s play area.
- Roll-in shower as well as bath tubs with grab bars are designed into every bathroom.
- Each bathroom has a low flow toilet with adjacent grab bars.
- Each room in every housing unit has ample manoeuvring space.
- Outlets are raised and light switches and thermostats are lowered.
- Each main unit and balcony door has electrical installed around the doorways for easy installation of power door openers.
- Manoeuvring space is available beneath counter tops in the kitchen and bathrooms for individuals approaching from a seated position.
- Kitchens have accessible stove top and wall ovens.
- Each kitchen sink has lever faucets with a detachable faucet head.
- Kitchen is also outfitted with moveable shelving and varied counter heights.
- The Place La Charrette apartment building has two elevators so that they may serve each other as back-ups in the event that one of them needs maintenance.