Second Prize: Single-Family Detached Home
Project Name: Sands of Time
Sonbuilt Custom Homes Ltd.
Brian and Pam Doyle
Jonathan Zerkee, Sonbuilt Custom Homes Ltd.
Mark Douglas, Sonbuilt Custom Homes Ltd.
Trish Becher Interior Design
CMP Enterprises Ltd.
R. Dueck Construction
This home was carefully designed and built to accommodate future wheelchair accessibility. Throughout the design process, the current and future needs of the client were considered and accommodated. This energy efficient high performance home delivers superior value and comfort to the homeowner while maintaining a beautiful, classic design appeal.
- This elegant home of distinction is a delightful combination of tradition and excellence.
- The arched theme throughout the home creates a dramatic effect both inside and out.
- The home is situated in a way that would preserve as many of the trees as possible in this timeless older neighbourhood.
- Thoughtfully designed for aging in place for a retired and active couple.
- User friendly lighting in closets, cabinetry, and stair steps.
- Cabinetry allows for removable sections in the event a wheelchair is used while a low threshold shower is designed for wheelchair accessibility.
- Level front door entry, wide hallways and doorways, and plenty of storage throughout.
- Many universal design concepts for independent living are found in this home.
- Master bedroom and laundry on main floor allows everyday living to take place all on one level.
- Open floor plan with generous, stylish kitchen perfect for entertaining.
- Basement includes a pre-designed space for a legal suite for possible future live in caregiver.
- This Gold qualified Built Green home has an air leakage rate of just 0.49 air changes per hour and an Energuide rating of 87.
- It is built to the R-2000 standard and includes an ICF foundation and uses the airtight drywall approach producing a reliable air barrier.
- Triple glazed Low-E, argon filled windows, a 20 seer heat pump, LED lighting, Energy Star appliances and a Navien tankless water heater contribute to the energy savings.
- An HRV keeps fresh air circulating while maintaining a very comfortable living environment.
- The finishes do not off gas and are low in VOC’s providing the ideal living environment for those highly sensitive to chemicals.
- The passage of time will be of little concern to these homeowners as they enjoy many years of safe, comfortable living in a healthy home environment.